If you are lucky enough to have a great company that offers gym memberships as part of its employee benefits package, you may be wondering what happens if you get injured while working out.
Surprisingly, many people don’t realize that the workers’ compensation law may apply in these situations. In this blog post, we will take a look at when workers’ compensation applies to gym injuries and who may be covered under the law. Keep reading to learn more about getting compensated for injuries caused by your work-hour gym time!
So you got hurt working out during your gym break, what should you do?
If you are an employee of the company and were using the gym during your work hours, then you should report the injury to your employer as soon as possible. Your employer is required by law to provide workers’ compensation insurance, and you will need to file a claim with their insurance carrier. If you are not an employee of the company but were using the gym as a paying member, then you will need to file a personal injury claim against the gym. In either case, it is important to seek medical attention for your injuries as soon as possible.
What should you know before filing a claim?
There are a few things to keep in mind if you plan on filing a workers’ compensation claim for a gym injury.
- First, you will need to show that the injury occurred while you were working. This can be difficult to do if you were not using company equipment or if you were not on company property at the time of the injury.
- Second, you will need to prove that the injury was caused by your job duties. For example, if you are a cashier and develop carpal tunnel syndrome from working at the register, then you would likely be covered under workers’ compensation. However, if you develop carpal tunnel syndrome from working out at the gym, it may be more difficult to prove that your job duties were the cause of the injury.
If you are injured while working out at the gym and plan on filing a workers’ compensation claim, it is important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that you receive the benefits you are entitled to. Contact our office today to schedule a free consultation.
What are some common injuries that can occur at the gym?
There are a variety of injuries that can occur at the gym, but some of the most common include strains and sprains, back injuries, and head injuries.
- Strains and sprains usually occur when lifting weights or using exercise equipment incorrectly.
- Back injuries can occur from lifting heavy weights or from repetitive motions such as running on a treadmill.
- Head injuries can occur from falling off of exercise equipment or from being hit by a piece of equipment.
- Other injuries might include slips, trips, and falls. These can sometimes be harder to prove because it is difficult to know what caused the accident. For example, if the gym failed to put up a “Wet Floor” sign, they may be held liable for their injuries.
To summarize, if you have sustained any type of injury while working out at the gym:
- seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney to discuss your legal options
- Get enough information about your rights and collect the necessary documentation
- Make sure to file a claim within the legal deadline
Contact a local office today to schedule a free consultation and ensure that you receive the benefits you are entitled to.
Leave a Reply